Monday, May 30, 2011

Bugging Out: Biological Pollution?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8533671/Bugs-in-the-atmosphere-may-cause-bad-weather.html


Bugs in the Atmosphere May Cause Bad Weather


Summary

Reseachers have begun finding bacteria and in the center of hail stones. The hail is formed around the microbes, causing there to be precipitation where there wouldn't have been otherwise. In fact, the discovery suggests that the bacteria play an important role in not only the formation of hail, but other sorts of precipitation, too. One bacteria, Pseudomonas syringae, is very well-studied as a biological precipitation-causer, and has been found to "possess a gene that encodes a protein in their outer membrane that binds water molecules in an ordered arrangement, providing a very efficient nucleating [(the core of the precipitation)] template that enhances ice crystal formation". So not only can precipitation be formed around living organisms, those organisms may create superior precipitation than more traditional forms. The researchers have run simulations which suggest that high concentrations of biological particles have numerous effects, including cloud cover and ground precipitation levels. It is even thought that they can affect the way the planet is insulated from solar radiation.

Reflection

I think this is absolutely amazing. I was shocked that the microbes even made it that far up in the atmosphere. I guess once they're up there, it makes a lot of sense that they become the nuclei for precipitation, but it's still intriguing. I'm also surprised that scientists didn't discover this before. It seems like someone would have realized that there was bacteria in the center of the hail, while running tests or something. If I'm interpreting this correctly, then the fact that P. syingae posses a gene that assists in the precipitation-forming process suggests that this isn't a recent development, and that bacteria have been the nuclei of precipitation for so long that they have begun to evolve to do it better. I just think that is so amazing. And the possible effects that having bionucleis can cause? All I can say is wow, I would never expect such a small change could have such results. I'm really excited to hear more about this, and an update about how accurate the computer simulation was.

Questions

1) Do the researchers' findings surprise you?

2) What do you think of the computer simulation?

3) How do you think the bacteria got so high? Is it our doing?

4) P. syringae is a bug that infects plants. Do you think bioprecipitation can spread disease?

5 comments:

  1. Reflection
    Wow. This is really cool. I could never imagine that a bacteria could do such a thing. I wonder what we could do with this information. We could use microbes in cloud-seeding, and induce rain without harsh chemicals, for instance, to provide rain to farmland. Or for a more military application, create a water-borne pathogen and hide it in the hail. When the hail melts, it becomes part of the enemy's drinking water.

    Responses
    1) Yes, very
    2) I don't know about my view of the simulation at present. I'd like more information so I could see just what it came up with.
    3) It's certainly possible, but I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that.
    4) As long as the bacteria isn't killed in the process of forming the hail, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Opinion/Reflection

    I can’t believe that bacteria has been found in the center of hail stones. Personally, I thought hail could only be composed of ice crystals and cloud particles, meaning that I didn’t know bacteria and other particulates could get inside. I had no clue such a thing was possible-like Kate, I didn’t have any idea that microbes could go that high in the atmosphere, so pretty much this whole article surprised me.

    It was shocking for me to read that bacteria are an important component in forming precipitation. I find it unbelievable that living organisms can not only form precipitation, but make it better than the traditional kind. It’s just really weird to think that something so small, like the Pseudomonas syringae bacteria, can form hail and other forms of precipitation that are superior to traditional precipitation.

    I can’t figure out how scientists have just discovered this now. Like Kate said, how come they wouldn’t have discovered bacteria in hail when they ran tests on hail? Scientists have such advanced technology today I’m really surprised that they didn’t make a discovery like this earlier, or at least before now.

    Next, I couldn’t believe that biological particles not only form hail, but they can contribute to cloud cover, ground precipitation levels, and affect the planet’s insulation from solar radiation. I am just amazed that tiny bacteria and other biological particles can do things like that.

    Finally, this relates to class because we are learning about the atmosphere, and the effect different pollutants can have on it. Who knew that bacteria could form precipitation? Until reading this article, I had no idea.

    Answer the Questions

    1. Yes, the researchers’ findings really surprised me. I had no clue that something so small, like bacteria, could form hail and other forms of precipitation. And who would have thought that the precipitation they create is superior to the traditional form? I know I didn’t.
    2. I personally think that the computer simulation is very interesting. It lets people know that bacteria doesn’t just contribute to forming precipitation, it can also affect the planet’s insulation from solar radiation, or contribute to cloud cover and ground precipitation levels. I just find that really intriguing, and think that a lot of other people will, too.
    4. Yes, I think that bioprecipitation can spread disease, but only if humans or animals get it in their system (ie: swallowing). Unfortunately, if humans or animals are infected with pseudomonas syringae, I think that they might become very sick, and there might not be a treatment available for them.

    Ask More Questions

    1. Who was the first person to find the bacteria in the center of the hailstones?
    2. Do you think that the hail and other forms of precipitation formed by bacteria and other living organisms will have harmful effects on humans? The environment? If so, why?
    3. Is Pseudomonas syringae the bacteria that causes the most precipitation to form and fall?
    4. What effect do you think swallowing bioprecipitation can have on humans? On animals?
    5. Can you name any effects other than ground precipitation levels, cloud cover, and affect on the planet’s insulation from solar radiation that biological particles may cause?

    Add a Graphic

    http://thatsovietguy.com/bacteria-may-be-the-ultimate-hail-snow-and-rain-makers-science

    This picture shows the impact of a piece of hail made of bacteria-almost completely cracking the entire windshield of a car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do find this very interesting. This is something I really never would have thought of. However, considering that P. Syringae infects plants, I wouldn't want this stuff precipitating all over the planet. Unless it dies when it precipitates, it would spell trouble. Even if it does die, it will eventually evolve so it can survive precipitation.

    1. Yes, yes they do.
    2. In your summary you don't really say anything about a computer simulation, and it's only briefly mentioned in your reflection. So I don't really know what it is. But anyways, I would say computer simulations aren't always 100% perfectly correctly accurate. They are fun to watch though.
    3. I don't think it was our doing. I think it might be possible they got up there in naturalistic ways.
    4. Yes, I do. And that can be a serious problem.

    ReplyDelete